Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Harvest for August 7th

Here is the dirt!

Potential Harvest:

Carrots!!!
More Green Beans
Red Potatoes
Cucumbers!!!!
Zucchini and Summer Squash
Beets
Kale and Chard and maybe other Greens
Green Onions
Sweet Spanish Onions
Garlic
Garlic Scapes (Last Chance)
Cut Flowers
Lettuce Mix
Herbs: (Basil, Parsley, Cilantro, Other herbs)
Maybe Tomatoes

My Last Harvest
Break out your hankies. I leave for sunny California on Sunday morning. Come to the market to wish me farewell. I am super excited to have new adventures and simultaneously quite sad to leave the Land School. This week we welcomed Laura Kosowski in her new role as farm manager. Yay! When I get settled, I'll let Laura know how folks can stay up to date with my progress as I enter my steep learning curve on the California coast.

Silly Guineas 
Last week we had finally got all the chickens in the new coop and only had to catch the guinea fowl. Katie and I caught them using a fishing net and trapping them in the red barn. One by one, over the course of three days. Then we moved them into the new coop for 4 nights. That should have been enough to reset their instinctual need to roost in the same place every night. Then today we let them all out for the first time in a week for the chickens (4 days for the silly guineas). Tonight all the chickens dutifully went into the new coop. The guineas, on the other hand, decided to roost in the tree. Now they are making an awful ruckus, as I write this. We hope that no owls attack tonight and that tomorrow they have the good sense to join the chickens in the new coop.

Kitten News
The kittens who showed up last week have successfully endeared themselves to Katie and Laura (and many others). Their vet visit went well. Worms but no major health issues. They are both boys. Names are still an issue. Maybe twin names. Fred and George (twin redheads). Castor and Pollux (geminis). Sol y Luna. Or other names that Katie and Laura decide.




No comments:

Post a Comment