During this August apprenticeship there were lots of things that all of us enjoyed. Here are the top 11...
1. Catching birds in the chicken coop! There are always lots of little sparrows that get stuck in the chicken coup and can't figure out how to get out, so they keep smashing into the windows. We discovered that as soon as we caught them they calmed down, so then we went outside and threw them up in the air like in the movies and they flew away! We also enjoyed naming every one we caught: Sebastien, Samantha, June, Judy, Harold, Liam, Lexi, Stewart, and Callie.
2. We enjoyed cooking our own meals as well, including doing the dishes!
3. Watching the chicks hatch!
4. Getting up at 3am to watch the meteor shower and at 6:30 to watch the sunrise
5. Playing with the cats and mocha
6. Getting to know each other much better
7. Working in the garden and on the pizza oven
8. Making and listening to our playlist
9. Picking two water bottles full of wild berries and making an awesome pie that we ate with ice cream by the lake.
10. Cleaning out the animal pens
11. Playing tiger, swimming at the lake, and movie night
We all loved the peacefulness and serenity of the Land School. Even though for many of us this will be our last official trip to the Land School, we are already making plans to come back often. And while this is only a five day trip, we appreciate and cherish the time that we got to spend here this week and thank the Land School staff for all the hard work they put into making this the best experience possible for all of us.
This is my first Apprenticeship and it has been amazing! I got to know a lot of people that I hadn't known before. We have worked very hard and and had fun while working. The first day when we got to The Land School we went on a hike and then went right to bed when we got back. The next day we woke up at 7 O'clock made our own breakfast then did animal chores and Stewardship. Some of us weeded and some of us helped build the bread oven. Now that I look back on that day it seems like it was so long ago, and everyday since has gone by WAY too fast. Today we did more Stewardship and in the chicken coop there is a hen named Mrs. Hen who laid 15 eggs and today one of them finally hatched, we named her Delilah. This has been SUCH an amazing experience and I am totally coming back next year!