Thursday, May 2, 2013

Snow-pocalypse! Snow-megeddon! Snow-zilla!

by Andy

This morning I woke up in the middle of the night to a strange blue light. Our power had gone off and on and our computer screen in the office had come back on when the power came back. So I got up and turned it off and went back to sleep. Then, about 5:30 am I awoke to a loud crash and a wail. The crash was a large section of the oak tree in front of the farmhouse coming down into our yard. The wail was Jen, who was already at the window, mourning our beloved tree's deep injury.

After that we couldn't sleep. So we got up and went to check on the sheep and llamas, who were holed-up in barn like the smart animals they are. While we were checking, we could hear constant groans coming from the forest, punctuated by occasional crashes. The winds were moving the snow-laden trees, and branches were creaking and sometimes falling. We decided not to hike in the forest at all today. We took Pippa for a walk along the road. Many small trees were bent all the way to the ground. I would walk by and shake them and they would pop right back up. Instant tree! The snow was deep. I was in my tall rubber boots and often the drifts were over the top and dropping snow down into my socks. My first guess was 14 inches. Later I revised it to 18 inches. More in drifts. Heavy, wet snow.

When we came back into the house, the power was out. We read for a while and then I went over to help with the last day of the Farm Stay. They were excited because maybe they would have to stay another day. Also, with no power, we had no water. So we melted snow on the stove top and made do.  Of course, we were plowed out by 1 pm, and Doug made it here fine.

Photos by Ingrid and Ben


Ingrid's boot


Red Maple Flowers

Flocked Spruce

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!


Snow on a bench.


More Photos by Andy:























No comments:

Post a Comment