Monday, May 9, 2011

Doug's Science Class

On March 3rd, Doug came out to the Land School, to give us a science class the next day. That night though, we were going to have an astronomy class outside. I knew it was going to be a lot of fun, because I already knew a few things about the night sky. So we got our shoes on and headed outside the back porch of the Homestead. We got out there and you could still see a small strip of sun on the horizon. Everything else though was dark. I looked up the second I got out there, and what I saw was beautiful. There were so many stars! I can never see so many stars at once in the city! I would have to say that that night was one of my golden moments. So we went on with the class. Doug pointed out many constellations and single stars that were in sight. It was one of the most fun classes I have ever had.

The next morning, we woke up, ate breakfast, and headed downstairs for our morning long science class. We were going to focus on bird watching. We went on a small hike to the bird blind with our binoculars. We saw many birds on the way there. I was fascinated by how many birds we saw. I then realized that I loved bird watching. I was very happy throughout the whole walk to the bird blind. When we got near the bird blind, we stopped and Doug chose a person to go and tap a stick against the trunk of the tree that had the duck nest box. I was the person that got chosen to do that. So the rest of the class and Doug, stayed behind and I went ahead and tapped the trunk of the tree. There were no ducks that flew out, so everyone came to where I was. Doug took a ladder and climbed up next to the box, looked in, and saw many eggs. There was 8 in total! We took turns going up to see the eggs. They were all very pretty. I loved seeing those eggs. After we spent 20 minutes next to the nest box, we headed back to the Homestead. While we were heading back, I started to realize that I would really love to have a career in ornithology, the study of birds. I would love to do that. Doug's science class really did open my eyes to a new career choice.

by Josefina

No comments:

Post a Comment